Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Nuttin' But Love For The Angels From Above

Its official, with an Angels win last night all 50 or so Yankees hats I saw yesterday have disappeared. I wonder where they went! Do people stop supporting their team when they lose? I cannot understand such rational.

Another weird phenomenon has occurred. On Saturday all Boston hats disappeared, yet today came the resurgence of Sox fans who apparently now feel comfortable enough in a Yankee loss to resume supporting their team despite the lack of performance this post-season.

Speaking of lack of performance, how about MVP candidate A-Rod and his .133 Batting average and no RBI's in the ALDS. A little "Mr. May" if you will. In fact, A-Rod is so clutch for, so Most Valuable to the Yankees that as the TYING RUN, he even found a way to ground into a Double Play in the 9th inning. Following A-Rod's stellar performance, both Juicy Giambi and Gary Sheffaroid got on base. A-Rod's clutch performance cost the Yankees the game and the series. Now that's more beautiful than a field of Magenta Paintbrush, more precious than the ring, more ironic than Alanis Morisette, more ... you get the idea. Way to go A-Rod, you might get voted for Angels MVP for that.

Speaking of the Angels MVP, how about BMo hitting .444 ( 8-18) with 3 Homers and 5 RBIs. There really is some sweetness in wearing an Angels hat today. Though I have only missed 20 games in 5 years (note: I count games I've seen on tape after the fact as not missed) I've been accused of being a Bandwagoner, a Pot-Stirrer, a Yankee hater, and other interesting and humorous reactions.

Truth is I lasted half the day in my Angels hat before switching back to good ol' Basketweave-Boston, which also gets some cracks. "The year's over." The season is, yes, but not the year, idiots.

By the end of the month I reckon you'll hear a lot more about the Sox than you'd think.

5 (and 1) Things I Guarentee You'll Hear About (I stress HEAR, not will be RESOLVED)

  1. Resigning Johnny Damon - Which mind you is selfish, stupid, and will cause harm if the contract is more than 2 to 3 years.
  2. Theo Epstein Leaving/Staying - Theo wont leave unless the Sox want him to go. Period.
  3. Trading for Pitching - It isn't much of a secret that quality of the FA market of pitchers this year is uncertain. When it comes to reliability as most of the pitchers are as guessable as Wakefield or Clement (Millwood, Washburn, Weaver, Schmidt, Rogers...). there are rumors of trading Wells, Arroyo, Clement... everyone....
  4. First Baseman Search - They will look at Konerko, Erstad, and Sweeney... but just watch them come back with Millar if Francona pulls strings...
  5. Manny - Yup, do I even have to tell you why? I hope not. He's been here for how many years and every off-season the story is the same...
  6. (yes one extra for good measure) PAPI, the Most Valuable - he better be. I mean look at where the Sox would be without him. Certainly they would not have even made the playoffs and would have been 15 games back. What about A-Rod you say? Well where would the Yankees be without him? Probably the ALCS.

Best of Luck to the Sox to sort all of that out. If you have any questions or need advice please feel free to contact me from 8 AM to 8 PM. Or email me 24 hours a day.

Best of Luck also to the Angels. Many of us will be rooting for you.

"It doesn't matter who we play or where we play, we're going to play our style of baseball," Darin Erstad, with Mike Scioscia, said of the White Sox.

4 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you look like a ghost with that flash

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger seamus said...

oh come ON lauren. normally i take all your yankee-hating and don't really care cuz i just think that's it's a quick jab and you're not really serious, but no you just like to bitch about us. why the fuck do you care if people stopped wearing their hats (mine is still on)? we both know that every team has the stupid bandwagoners, why get so hung up on them? are you just that desperate for everyone to know you're a die-hard fan? WE KNOW YOU ARE. and even if we didn't, that wouldn't affect your precious sox, which is all you should really care about. your team lost in the playoffs, so did mine, oh well. i can't believe you sunk so low as to wear an Angels hat just because they beat the yankees, good christ. you couldn't pay me to wear White Sox paraphernalia, and you know why? because i don't need to take solace in your defeat to make me feel better about my loss. Sox And Angels Were Better Than Us. stop griping. be a damn fan, not a hater. It was a disappointing end to the year, but of course a dozen other teams would be HAPPY to make it as far as we did. there's certainly no reason to attack individual players, either. whatever. i'm done.

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she hasnt missed an angels game since lord knows when and dude what the fuck are you talking about she probably knows the angels better than you know the fuckees.... youre a real dipshit to rant about shit like that
hell lowie made the point that she enjoys old skool nyy like every other real baseball fan....she isnt desperate to let everyone know shes not a bandwagoner
thats not why you write
you write so people can relate

perhaps in your stupidity you dont understand that people relate by hearing the same message over and over

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Lowie said...

Pat: We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. ~Dead Poet's Society

I don't write to PROVE anything. I write to discuss. To love. To express emotion in a postiive manner. As a wise friend of mine once said, "Passion is never wasted." Thats how I live my life. If you feel I am rambling trying to prove myself not a bandwagon fan thats fine. But the point of Theology to figure out what something means. In the case of Sox Theology - What does being a real Red Sox Fan mean? What rules must we follow as fans? Are we part of a broader base? Where are my limits?

Thats what I discuss here. It can be applied to more than Red Sox-ism. If you can't see that I am sorry. Passion can be in vain but cannot be wasted. And in the end I know my passion wasn't in vain as long as I get to one person in my writing, either positively or negatively. I know I have, so my passion has not been in vain and definently has not been wasted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home