Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Bruise? Stress Reaction? Whats The Difference!

Well, it looks like what started as a bruise has turned to a stress reaction - which often leads to stress fractures. So for all of you out there who said "Oh but Curt was fine to come back, he'll be back soon stronger" SURRREEE - I'd like to see him pitching stronger with a stress fracture - the sutured tendon would have been less painful.
Curt came back too early due to pressure from the Nation, from Theo, but mostly, FROM HIMSELF - in the end it was his decision and he moved too fast. He should not have been pulled up after his minor league start.
You can blame Theo or Coma but in the end Curt wanted to carry the team and do it himself. (May I remind you last time he tried this was game 1 of the 2004 ALCS - and I need not remind you what happened than.) Curt should have stayed down longer, should have accepted it is a team effort, one guy cannot make it all happen.
If one guy did, the (LA) Anaheim Angels and Vlad would have won the World Series. You need team chemistry, perhaps this is something we are missing (See Article) but no matter what; in the end, Curt made a mistake, and he is paying for it.
Not only is he paying for it, but the 13-12 Red Sox are too.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Curt's Injury is Bad to the Bone
"It wasn’t a bruise, it was a stress reaction, which is a precursor to a stress fracture. That’s one of the considerations we’re looking at. There’s some differences of opinion as to exactly what it is and I’m not sure that anybody can be 100% sure unless… the MRIs are not perfect. We’ve done what we can do test-wise, now it’s up to how I feel and how they think it’s coming along. It was a real sharp pain (after the pitch), and it kind of stayed with me and didn’t go away and I knew something had happened and in my gut I thought that maybe I had broken scar tissue, adhesions, or something. I had what’s called an osteochondral defect in the ankle also last year which is what I had dealt with from April on and that was basically a bone bruise that got bad and when you continue to bruise a bone, the bone dies, and part of that bone died and so when they went in there to do one of the surgeries, one of the four surgeries they did was remove part of that bone. And when they do that they go in and they fracture the bone that’s left and let it heal over itself. And things accumulate. And this is a small joint and so there’s a lot going on in there. I think this is a real inexact science from the standpoint of when it’s gonna be right. I’m sure it’s not overnight, but I’m not that it’s 14 days. That’s why we’re pushing everything else as hard as we can to make sure that I don’t fall behind in any other spots. If I can get out and play some catch I’m going to try and do that. Today, or tomorrow, or whenever we think it’s right, keep my arm in shape and be ready to go. There’s a lot going on. I’m wearing the boot around the clock. I’m using the bone stimulator two to three times a day. Getting treatment from Russell at the ballpark. Sue Falsone and Craig Friedman from API out in Phoenix are out to see me and doing some things and Sue was in on the surgery when I had it. Craig is the head of my rehab in the offseason. So we’ve got a lot of people going." -- 5.3.05 Curt Schilling on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home