Monday, May 30, 2005

Jeter’s Newest “Spectacular” Catch

OK – Derek Jeter, while the name is enough to gag me, I know deep down that perhaps he isn’t the worst shortstop ever. However, I’m sick of hearing how he makes these great, spectacular, game saving catches.

First there was the 12th inning catch against the Red Sox last year where Jeter ran out of field and dove into the stands. Yet everyone fails to mention or remember that Pokey Reese made a similar catch that required him to run deeper than Jeter did, but Pokey didn’t dive into the stands and cut his chin. However, if Pokey had, I seriously doubt that he would have made the trainer hold a tissue to his chin on the way back to the dugout. Rather, I’m pretty sure he would have been a man and held it himself.

This week Jeter was at it again. I’m sure you’ve all seen the play. Fly ball in the 7th inning to center field; Bernie Williams running in, Robinson Cano running out, and Derek Jeter flies out of nowhere jumping onto Cano to make a catch that the second basemen easily would have had. Jeter made the catch that “saved the game” while cutting Cano’s ankle with his spikes.

Jeter risked the health of his teammate to be the one to make the catch, and than when asked about it Jeter said, “I think I stepped on him. He's young. He's O.K. He's a kid."

It’s this selfish attitude of “It’s all about me. I don’t have to communicate like everyone else. I’m above the system. It’s more important I do it all and risk someone’s health than allow someone else to share the spotlight.” which makes me sick and hate him even more.

1 Comments:

At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or perhaps it was more a case of a focus driven catch--in all your time of watching any baseball---regardless of teams you must of seen collisions before, what about Damon's, no one did that to him purposely. Besides you took the series this weekend, why such hatred towards Jeter? Talk to you later kid-Suzie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home